Friday, July 17, 2015

The Broad Fork


This is my newest cookbook. I got it because it was designed for using all the vegetables that come in your CSA box. Steven and I like our CSA, but sometimes we run out of interesting things to do with the contents. This book is definitely one to grab your attention. The cover is nice, with easy to read lettering. The book itself is huge and full of pictures. 

When I first started looking through it I started with the summer chapter. I found it overall disappointing. There were no recipes that jumped out at me. One I thought I might try, was the corn spoonbread. I found more success with the other seasons. There are quite a few recipes that are now in my to try list, once their season comes. 

This book is organized by season. I found the season's vegetables don't line up with what I get in my CSA. I was disappointed with Summer's selection of recipes, but apparently I get some non summer vegetables in my summer box. Maybe this is because I live in a warm state?

There are a few things that I don't like about this book. There seems to be a lot of pickling recipes. This doesn't really interest me, and almost every vegetable seems to have it's own. There are a lot of overly complicated recipes that call for a lot of ingredients. I was hoping this book would be more of tasty things to do with your CSA vegetables, not you have your CSA vegetables now go to the store and buy a million other things.


I like the book, but if I had been flipping through it in the store I would have put it back. I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment