Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Book Review - Einkorn


I choose to get this book because it was about a grain I had never heard of. Finding the grain to actually use was harder. I didn't see it at any of the Whole Foods like stores I normally shop at. I did find it online. I was only able to find one maker of it, Jovial Foods. This happens to be the same people who made this cookbook. I'm considering it more of an instruction manual for their product rather than an advertisement. The recipes look good. I am looking forward to trying quite a few of them. Most, but not all, of the recipes have lovely pictures that make you want to make them.

My largest complaint with this book is that the recipes do not have a total time or preparation time or baking time listed. I thought I had enough time to make the loaf of bread before I had to leave. I look at the cooking time and skimmed the recipe. The particular recipe that I chose required the bread to rise twice, which of course added almost two hours to the total time. I could have read the entire recipe more carefully and done the math to add up all the wait and cooking times, but it is nice to just have that done for you and written at the beginning of each recipe.

The bread turned out well despite my issues with timing. I like the book, and the Einkorn grain is tasty. I probably would not have purchased this book on my own, because the grain is so hard to come by. I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


Here is a picture of my bread ready to eat with homemade butter to spread onto it.





No comments:

Post a Comment